Thursday, October 25, 2007

Heineken 'DraftKeg': The Most Sexist Beer Commerical Ever Produced?

I watched the Heineken commercial several times. I can see why it could upset some, but I can also see the other side. I believe this commercial was sexist, but not the most sexist commercial I have ever seen. The reason I believe this is because the woman in the commercial was a robot. Beer ads seem so much worse when actual woman are in them. They are usually dressed – or I should say they are usually close to not being dressed; their clothes are revealing and targeted at making men desire them. The most sexist and degrading ads I have seen for alcohol are the “Absolut Vodka” ads. You can usually find these ads in Maxim , Cosmo, etc.

I looked up some “Absolut Vodka” ads on the internet to refresh my memory. In one of the ads, a woman was dressed in a barely-there bathing suit, and a man, wearing a tuxedo, was holding a bottle of vodka and standing above her. His legs were apart so if the woman looked up, her view would be in between his legs. I thought this was very degrading because the man’s posture suggests that he rules her and is above her. All of the "Absolut Vodka" ads I have seen are similar to this. They suggest men are superior to women.

No comments: